Securboration’s Cyber Security Group investigates cutting edge cybersecurity issues. The group has conducted full-spectrum cybersecurity research for AFRL, ONR, DARPA, and DOT&E among others.
The group’s work is centered around the development of autonomic techniques operating at machine time that (1) perform proactive defensive maneuvers that reduce the likelihood of cyber-attack success while (2) facilitating automated response to attacker activities under the pessimistic assumption that even the strongest of defenses will eventually be breached. Areas of active research within the group are outlined below.
- Identify adversary activity within fielded mission-critical systems.
- Derive models of expected system behavior from unstructured data sources.
- Infer rules governing correct system operation from telemetry streams.
- Detect and block unusual application behaviors before they result in exploitation.
- Alert operators to incorrect operation of software systems deployed remotely and at scale.
- Develop instrumentation tools that transform code into a more secure and easily monitored form.
- Proactively and reactively mutate deployed service-oriented architectures in a manner that is difficult to scan or invade without detection.
- Diagnose emergent problems within deployed software systems.
- Synthesize repairs for broken deployments with minimal human interaction.
Publications and patents
- Patent 10725897: Systems and Methods for Automatically Parallelizing Sequential Code. J. Staples et al. Continuation of 10387293 granted August 2020.
- J. Staples, C. Endicott, L. Krause, P. Pal, P. Samouelian, R. Schantz, A. Wellman. “A semi-autonomic bytecode repair framework”, IEEE Software, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 97-102, 2019.
- Patent 10230750: Secure Computing Environment. L. Krause et al. Granted March 2019.
- A Feasibility Study of Autonomically Detecting In-process Cyber-Attacks. F. Sun, P. Zhang, J. White, D. Schmidt, J. Staples, L. Krause; IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics, June 21-23, 2017, Exeter, UK